April 2, 2011

Firsts

During my pregnancy I had high hopes that I was going to chronicle everything in my baby's life. We bought a nice baby book and scrap book to record everything. My daughter is now 8 months, our baby book sits on the shelf partially completed and the scrapbook is still in the wrapper. With all the things that a mother must attend to, keeping up with these things often get pushed to the side until a new first or milestone happens and then you are reminded that you need to update your book.


I had such a reminder this week. In a previous blog a wrote about tracking developmental milestones and my daughter mastering standing. This weekend we experienced a new "first" in her life - we went to the beach. This was the first time she crawled in the sand and put her feet in the ocean. She loved every bit of it and we took a hundred pictures of her covered in sand and trying to eat sand.

One of the upsides to living in the digital age is that there are many ways to keep record of important events in our child's life. While my scrapbook may be incomplete, I do have the use of saving pictures on my computer, sharing them with friends and family on FacebookShutterfly, Flickr, and if I want I can make digital photo books to record all these memories. These options are more my speed, rather than the hands on projects that require more creativity than I have. 

This new mother would like to hear how other mothers out there keep track of their baby's firsts and milestones.


**This blog was originally drafted one month prior to posting. 

1 comment:

  1. I used to try & chronicle everything as Thomas was growing up too - I think every mother does! I now realize the most important things are the photos & videos - and while everything is digital now, (I've had to convert all of my vhs & vhs-c movies to digital), I'd like to add how important is to make dvd backups of all your home movies & pictures. I have my pics on Flickr, the hard drive, and am in the process of making dvd backups.

    ReplyDelete