July 13, 2011

The post pregnancy body...

It is no surprise to anyone out there that when you get pregnant you gain weight. In fact, gaining weight is a requirement of most doctors. During pregnancy weight tends to become a topic of many conversations. You get your weight taken at every doctor appointment, people often ask you how much weight you have gained and your clothes are constantly getting smaller. During pregnancy, I was very comfortable with my weight because the doctor said I was healthy. After having my baby I was still comfortable with my larger size because, after all, I did just have a baby. I was prepared that losing the baby pounds was going to take time and not happen overnight. I was gradually losing weight and could finally fit into some of my pre-pregnancy pants when something I wasn’t prepared for happened – swimsuit season!

The weather warmed up, I bought my little girl a cute bathing suit, a cute swimsuit cover, special swimming diapers, a life jacket, infant raft and baby sunscreen. I was ready to take her for her first swim; all I had to do was wait for the warm weather to arrive. Then finally the day came, it was a beautiful sunny day and we were getting ready to go to the pool. The baby was dressed and I enter the closet to dig out the old bikini, it fits but it doesn’t look the same. In an instant I went from being satisfied with my appearance to feeling 5000 pounds. At that moment, I told myself it was all in my head and we went to the pool. Then that evening and the days to follow those feelings of insecurity began to ooze their way back into my head. Suddenly I decided that I will not be able to go back to the pool until I purchase a one piece swimsuit and long swimming trunks to wear in the water. I decided that the only part of my body that could be seen were my arms, lower legs, and head. Oh how quickly one can spiral down and down.

I attempt to once again tell myself that it is all in my head, I remind myself of all the clothes in my closet that are now too big for me, but that also reminds me of all that clothes in my closet that are too small for me. I decide that I am going to start working out more, but then I worry about where I will find the time when I barely have time to take a shower. Then there are those stinking celebrities mom’s that do runway shows in their bra and underwear three months after having their baby (thanks a lot Heidi Klum and all you others out there).

Before things get further out of hand I take a deep breath and relax my shoulders. I remember that I am not alone in my craziness – right? This is when I look for support from my network of moms. I have had friends give me various levels of advice. Some of my fellow mom’s are committed to losing the weight ASAP and are disciplined enough to get those work outs in. They share their great workout videos and meal plans. Others tell me that they make no changes and let the chips fall where they may. I have fallen somewhere in the middle. We spend our weekends being active as a family and have significantly increased eating meals at home. 

Where do you fall in your approach to the “baby pounds’? Have you driven yourself crazy over it? 
 

2 comments:

  1. You are not alone!!! I've come to terms with the fact that since becoming a mom, I will NEVER AGAIN fit into my pre-pregnancy size 3 jeans. I even jumped for joy when I fit back into my size 10 jeans after my second pregnancy. And even though the number on the scale shows that I weigh 10 to 15 more pounds than I did before becoming a mom, it seems to me that my post-baby body looks 1,000 times bigger!!! And as for the DREADED SWIMSUIT.... it has a way of depressing me and making me feel so insecure about my body. And it can make me a bit crazy! But do you know what helps me? I look at my kids, and I realize that they are happy, they are well adjusted, gorgeous, precious, intelligent, and just overall wonderful & awesome children. And everything they are is because of me. As a woman, as a mother, I am more than just my body. I, too, am an intelligent, strong, amazing woman, and a beautiful person--no matter what size clothes I wear or the number on the scale, or how terrible I think I look in my swimsuit.
    And as for those celebrity moms...well I'm sure you and I could pull it off too if we had our own personal chefs, fittness trainers, maids, and a nannie to watch raise our kids too while we spent countless hours a day in the gym.
    Hang in there Kat. You are an amazing, strong, intelligent, beautiful person and I'm sure you're an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put Monica! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete